Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Kickin' it DaDa Style

I'm not much for reposts, but I found this article through Artstash, and felt that I had to share it. Apparantly a 76 year old artist has made it his business to destroy Marcel Duchamp's Fontain. First time he pissed in it, now he attacked it with a hammer.

The hammer attack is just strange, but the pissing seem to have some sort of meaning, at least at first glance. But, then again, not really. Duchamp turned the urinal upside down for a reason: to make unusable art from a usable every day object. I guess the attacker wanted to show that he failed, but that doesn't make the concept behind Fontain a failure, does it? And for Duchamp the concept was everything.

But, I'm probably just overanalyzing things here. There's a lot of crazy people out there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home