Friday, February 17, 2006

This town ain't big enough...


This isn’t working. I just spent two hours at the Sollentuna Art Fair, even though I had planned to stay for the rest of the day. It’s just getting smaller and less interesting with each year. The starting of the competing Market Art Fair seems to have been the death blow. There just isn’t room for both of them in this city. Either fight it out, or sit down and figure out a way to work together!

I won’t go into detail about the crappy stuff, or I will just get into a worse mood than I already am. As always, the art students’ exhibition was the most interesting feature. It was substantially weaker than last years edition, but still contained a few highlights. My personal favourite this year was Emma Hartman from Umeå, with her large semifigurative oil paintings. If he had been a little less pretentious I would certainly have fallen in love with Anders Sletvold Moe’s light installations, but calling a simple reflection of light for a "metaphysical light phenomenon" bums me out. Ever seen a mirror?

Among the more established artists Marianne Lindberg de Geer’s art was as good as always, and the same, of course, was true for Karin Mamma Andersson (the picture featured above this post is her Siberia). Galleri Embla presented some strange sculptors by Karel Becvar that left a strong trace in my mind long after I’ve left their exhibit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home