Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Art for kids

Apparently Moderna Muséet in Stockholm has guided tours of the exhibitions for babies aged 0-15 months. Yes, their parents can come too! I really fail to see the point of this. Isn’t it easier just to take the kids to the local supermarket or something? Unless you believe art to possess some strange mystical qualities that speak directly to the human soul… what’s the difference?

I also found an interesting perspective on art for substantially older kids in this post on ionarts. It’s a bit old, and the fresh link was contained in this article with a hilarious picture of the author, Charles T Downey, glancing at Courbet’s L’Origine du Monde, to the right of the text. I’m sure he is a good guy, and I feel rather bad about making fun of him but when I writes "Because the students in this class are 10th graders, I obviously could not teach this much more daring Courbet painting, L'Origine du Monde (1866), which is not for the faint of heart..." it makes me wonder if he has actually met a 10th grader? Or heard of the internet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home