Monday, April 03, 2006

I Have My Poetry to Protect Me

This article about young artist Alex McQuilkin goes to show at least two things: 1. Just because it’s made by a woman - and just because it deals with sexuality and identity - it isn’t necessarily feminist art. 2. Just because the pictorial language is overwhelming to the viewer, it doesn’t mean that there is something important at stake.

From what I’ve seen I find McQuilkin’s art to be stereotypical, narcissistic and rather manipulative - the two later qualities enhancing the first, making it meta stereotypical, if there’s even such a concept?

Even more disturbing than the art is Ana Finel Honigan’s patronizing questions. It’s as if she hasn’t even bothered to grant McQuilkin the respect of a critical review:

AFH: What do you miss most about adolescence?
AM: I miss believing in things. I don’t miss the intensity; I miss really having faith in something. I miss believing something like rock stars will make things happen. I miss the inexplicable, naïve belief that. . .
AFH: Kurt Cobain will change everything?
AM: Exactly.

Exactly.

----------------

Edit: I think I have to balance this post a little. McQuilkin certainly knows what she's doing, and does it fairly will in some pieces. I just don't like the approach. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's all crap.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ali Esbati said...

Coming thesis: "On the revolutionary potential of grunge 'hairstyle' - creating 'hope' and transcending 'objective' bounderies of social life by looking bored and singing angry songs about it".

PS. Nirvana rocks. For sure.

12:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home