Thursday, May 04, 2006

Confessions of a Terrible Painter

We all have a past. In the middle of the 1980s I had a short and not very successful career as a graffiti artist in Gothenburg. It ended promptly when my mother found out, due to a letter from the police. I was never formally charged, but the graffiti scene lost most of its attraction after that.

At Walls of Fame someone has collected photos of Gothenburg graffiti from about the same time as I was active. A lot of it isn’t nearly as good as I remember it, but it sure is worth looking through the archives. There’s nothing of my work on the page (and thank God for that!) but I was actually present when this piece was made by CasCade and Craz. And this one by Doe.

The graffiti scene has changed a lot since the 1980s, but lately you have been able to notice a slight revival of the old school design patterns. Once again style and technique is in. The naïvist trend of the late 1990s is not as dominant as it has been for the last decade. Personally, I think this is a good development. Graffiti is supposed to look good.

Edit: links were broken so I hosted the pictures myself instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home