Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Diamonds and Dust

Apparantly british überartist Damian Hirst is on his way to producing a platinum cased human skull covered in diamonds. Edna at Militant Art Bitch is not impressed at all. I kind of like the idea myself though. I don't find it any more offensive than all the other crap sold for millions and millions of dollars.

Accusations that Hirst is just ripping off other people's work has already arisen - and I can add my own conspiracy theory that the diamond skull is in fact a concept stolen from Swedish artist Dan Wolgers who exhibited several human bones rested on diamonds at an art fair in Stockholm this february - but the death-and-luxury-thingy isn't really the core of the piece, now is it? Hirst could just aswell have made a gold plated Campell's soup can, and it still wouldn't be a rip off from Warhol.

It's not "death and luxury" at all, it's just over-the-top art in every possible sense of the word. And I find nothing wrong with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home