Tuesday, October 03, 2006

On the outskirts of Babylon

Lars Vilks regularly publishes an updated list of the top 15 Swedish artists featured on Artfacts. In September a young (or "youngish", I don’t know… he is two years older than me…) artist that I really like climbed to a very nice 8th place on the list.

Make sure to check out Jonas Dahlberg’s work if you get the opportunity. He is one of the new generation of video artists, and unlike a lot of the older artists in the same genre he knows how to take advantage of the medium. My favourite is still One Way Street with an extreme feeling of detachment and isolation clinging to the viewer. But his most appreciated piece is probably Invisible Cities from 2004.

The combination of architecture and visual art is confusing and very attractive. I’m never really sure of what is on top of what. Is it about the theory of human isolation, life in the city, or is it about the buildings and streets themselves? My guess is both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home